Monday, February 7, 2011

Alcatraz Island.














As mentioned before I loved this island. Everything about it fascinated me to no end. I was so surprised how small it really was. The cells were no more than 5 feet wide. I always pictured the jail as this HUGE place that held thousands of the most famous prisoners ever. I was very wrong.
  The day we were there we were lucky enough to have a LOT of sun coming into the prison. Even then, it was dark, and damp and cold.. You can see in the pictures that there is one row of cells in sunlight. I guess it was "the place to be" if you had to be in a cell.

The top 7 rows were shot on a contax G2 with cheap film from China, I decided not to edit any of the pictures, I liked the rawness and all the flaws.
The bottom square pictures were shot on my Rolleiflex with Kodak Tri-x 400 pushed to 1600. And developed by Richards Photo Lab.  It was really dark in the prison.  

No comments: